14 August 2009

KYPER 'WHAT GETs YOUR BODY HYPED-XTC'

The 80s & 90s brought us electro and the music world has never been the same since.
Kyper was a little known contributor to the old school electro movement back in the day. He was about as Indie as Indie gets. Way back when, he schlepped his singles from gig to gig. He'd even call record shops, speak to the buyer, give his sales pitch and play them a sample over the telephone...at least that's how I first came into contact with him. Kyper cold-called me one day at Jelly's in Hawaii, where I was the music buyer. People always cold-called me, I usually told them to fuck off. Not Kyper. He had a good opening line, caught my interest and hooked me. Kyper sampled his jam over the phone line and I pissed my britches...I needed to get me a box of his singles, stat. I placed a rush order. Kyper himself, assured me that he'd personally box my vinyl up and ship it C.O.D. A week later my brown box arrived. I rushed to cut it open. I tossed the white label onto my 1200's and cranked the chunes. I was sold out before dinner was served. The very next day, I called him at home, his dad answered the phone and told me that Kyper was out running errands, took a message and chatted with me for a while. Pops sure seemed a really cool guy.
Almost 20 years later and I still feel like a little school girl when I hear this jammie. Hell, almost 20 years later and every time I hear Kyper, I think of his old man. Thanks Kyper. Thanks pops.

No comments:

Post a Comment