29 July 2009

The LOVE AND ROCKETS: FOUND, SLAIN


Covers in general are weak. I always give them a quick listening to, to see if the cover-band has actually done any justice to the original or the ‘made famous by…’ version. More times than not, I am let down. Am I insane for hoping that this be one the time some silly band, a douchebag record producer(s) & some money-hungry record label (who has spent loads and loads of someone elses cash) actually release a descent or groundbreaking cover version or tribute album, a version that won’t immediately insult the original track, the original band or the fans of said original?

Tribute albums should do just that, pay tribute. They should at times, incorporate irony whilst being memorable. IE: Sisters of Mercy covering Dolly Parton's 'Jolene'...priceless. Cover bands that 'cover' songs, well, they should continue to do weddings and 'sweet 16's'.

Guess what? It’s that time of year again. The season of the ‘cover album’ and there’s a new cover album available on iTunes titled ‘No New Tales To Tell’. Said with a grain of salt, it’s a tribute to The Love and Rockets. The title should immediately warn you of the albums content…THERE IS NO NEW TALE TO TELL! On a good day, I wouldn’t say this is a legitimate tribute…more like a poor attempt to pacify the record company lawyers & record labels, with their quotas that need filling.

Hey guys (the bands that signed on), you knew your job was cut out for you when you signed on to the ‘let’s do a Love and Rockets cover album’ gig. Covers are generally tough, and you must tread lightly when doing one. You’ve got to have a real reason for putting that cover out. You need a point of view and most of all, don’t disappoint yourself, the original band, original version or the fans of that original song. The fans won’t forgive you and Christ on a Cracker…neither will the media! I hope you cashed your check, ‘cause that check is bound to bounce before too long.

Of the 26 downloadable iTunes tracks, there isn’t one track worth the buck! On the otherhand, if you gave me a buck, I’d download Dubfire’s ‘I Feel Speed’. They didn’t truly reinterpret this track, but they did show it some mercy and they ‘put some hair on its chest’ to boot. Dubfire brings this track into the present day by adding their own electronic-rock POV.

As God is my witness, I love L&R. Love ‘em. Peter Murphy & Daniel Ash can be genius’ at times. Hell, I go ga-ga over a number of the bands on this tribute album (Flaming Lips, Frank Black & Film School). I really wanted to enjoy it. Really. Sorry sunshine, this ball got dropped and then someone went out and stabbed that ball with a sharp stick and let all its air out. Note to self: Leave the tributes to the goth bands of yesteryear to Cleopatra Records! Justice Records (who released this debacle), what in the Sam Hell were you thinking? Have you ever sat your fat asses down and actually listened to a Love and Rockets album before? I think if Shanachie Records did a ‘world-beat’ or reggae cover album, I might have enjoyed it a wee bit more.

Since I started writing and re-writing todays rant, I've listened to 'Holiday On The Moon' by Puscifer (MJ Keenan) at least 5 times and I take back a piece of what I said in the above...I would pay for this track. In fact, I am going to download it right now. It is my opinion that 'Holiday On The Moon' sounds a whole heck of a lot like something being re-done by a band (no band in particular) doing a NIN's rendition of a Depeche Mode single of the late 90's era. I've also decided to give Monster Magnet vs Adrian Young 'Mirror People' a 2nd chance but then again, I really liken this track to The Black Lips (or a similar fuzz band of the pacific North West region of the USA) minus their Blues licks.

I've listened heavily to 'The Light' by A Place to Bury Strangers...I swear on a stack of Bibles, It's got to be The Jesus and the Mary Chain from 'Psycho Candy' reincarnated. My eardrums bleed! Why in the world is this track not on the album?! Are you guys at Justice insane? This is the single! APTBS hail from Brooklyn and they are proud to be known as the 'loudest band from New York'. God Bless Brooklyn!


TRACK LISTING:
All In My Mind – Black Francis
Holiday On The Moon – Puscifer (MJ Keenan)
Love Me – War Tapes
No New Tale To Tell – Blaqk Audio
I Feel Speed – Dubfire
Inside The Outside – The Dandy Warhols
Kundalini Express – The Flaming Lips
Life In Laralay – Sweethead
An American Dream – Film School
The Light – A Place To Bury Strangers
Mirror People – Monster Magnet vs Adrian Young
Fever – The Stone Foxes
No Big Deal – Frankenstein 3000
It Could Be Sunshine – VEX
So Alive – Better Than Ezra
Lazy – Chantal Claret vs Adrian Young
Sweet F.A. – Ian Moore
iTunes Bonus Tracks*
No Words No More – Snowden
Sweet Lover Hangover - Charlie & the Valentine Killers
Yin and Yang & the Flowerpot Men - Halloweeen jack
7th Dream of the Teenage Heaven - The Manichean
Bound for Hell - Johnny Down & Billy Cote
Kundalini Express - The Flaming Lips
Mirror People - The Invisible Humans
No New Tale to Tell - Astra Heights

No comments:

Post a Comment